Skip to main content

Integrating arts at an early stage.


Even though my inquiry is looking at dance in primary school ages and how dance is incorporated in to the classroom and teaches experiences with this. The Washington Post wrote an article about a kindergarten teacher "using theater and dance to teach math and it's working..." very interesting.

Melissa Richardson a drama teacher was sent from the wolf trap institute to collaborate with kindergarten teacher, Carol Hunt to encourage students in her class using arts integration. The article talks and gives an  about how they incorporated arts into the classroom and the statistics of doing so compare to other students not having the experience from the wolf trap program. 


I wanted to find out more about Wolf Trap and its purpose, so after researching i found it's a program to help teachers to integrate arts and academic subjects together for pre-school and kindergarten ages. It doesn't just benefit the children but also their families and teachers to. The institute helps train teachers through residencies as well as option for workshops.

For more information about wolf trap visit the website at http://www.wolftrap.org/education/institute-for-early-learning-through-the-arts.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating My Questionnaire survey... After blogging about creating a survey I thought to give it a trial run and see if this is a tool I would consider developing for my Inquiry in module 3. here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WFHSWDJ  Please comment below on what you found good about it and what I should improve on?
Task 2c: Reflective Theory This task is focusing on my relationship with reflective practice, looking at existing tools with the use of critical thinking. My first thoughts when reading this task was what exactly in critical thinking? what is the definition?  I researched and came across that in fact there is no right or wrong answer.  "Critical thinking is to challenge a theory or a idea"  "critical thinking is the analysis of a situation based on facts..."  "critical thinking is looking at one's work or situation with value judgement"  These are just a few definition that I hand-picked out from "Critical thinking: An Exploration of theory and practice by Jennifer Moon" (Moon, J 2007) As I feel these helped me out the most.  Also finding a diagram of a cycle about critical thinking skills (Boundless, 2016) really helped with my understanding (see picture to the right), because I am a visual learner. So having it there as a...