Skip to main content

Task 3B: Theories relating to networking and my profession



Reader 3 is full of different theories within networking, I enjoyed reading into all these theories. I have picked two of those theories affiliation and cooperation that relate to my profession.


Affiliation

Definition: is the act of connecting or associating with a person or organization

"Larson, Csikszentmihalyi and Graef (1982) found that adolescents spent about 75 per cent of their waking time with other people." working with adolescents is very interesting as I personally see how they thrive off each other when connected, especially when they haven't seen each other over the holidays. Affiliation is a social progress which gives us a "network of support that will help us when we are in need" I wouldn't say I struggle to make decisions for myself but i do like a re-assurance now and then from more experienced professionals as I am new to this industry.  I feel as a teacher for my students they like to know that I am always there for re-assurance and I feel I have formed a bond with them that they can come and talk to me about anything.  
On the other side as it states in the reader that there is a balance and some people do need that space and that alone time whether its to seek their privacy at preferred levels. I feel as being the arts we are all a lot more expressive than other occupations and do like to express our self to others. I also feel that when using affiliation to network I feel its the most natural theory for me to help develop my profession and networking.


Cooperation

Cooperation "is closely associated with game theory" I found this very interesting to read into especially looking into 'Prisoner's dilemma' as it focuses on the benefits and results and the decisions to cooperate or not. It also shows by working together you have a better outcome than not cooperating at all.
It's a theory for that people are in a relationship purely there for a known reason as it states in reader 3  "cooperate till maximum benefit then defect" sometimes people/businesses fail to cooperate and communicate even though if they did they would have a better outcome of the situation. I feel it is a very professional way of networking especially in a competitive business/industry. The arts is competitive whether your a dancer/performer or teacher. As your always competing to be the best or pushing students to achieve their best. Cooperation in my profession is very important whether its with a peer college or directors organizing shows and performances for student. Also cooperation with teacher and student is vital for the student to exceed achievements by cooperating with the teacher and listening and working on correction. Referring back to the quote from reader 3 "cooperate til maximum benefit then defect"  I feel taking advantage of people then dropping them is the wrong way in this industry as it's everyone seems to cross paths in someway and talk about others and i would hate to be known by word of mouth for using people and dropping them. I feel like in law this theory will be very beneficial as you fight against your opponent to draw information out of them until the case is done then you simply move on.

why is cooperation important?

"Cooperation is important because it allows people and groups to work together to achieve a common goal or derive mutual benefits" By using communication along side to cooperation it "allows participants to exchange valuable information that helps both sides improve their knowledge bases and work in a time- and resource-efficient manner". Meaning to cooperate with others is essential especially when wanting to further my knowledge and resources with others.

Reflecting on both of these theories to networking is that affiliation can have a faint line of personal and work life where as cooperation sets boundaries of what type of relationship it is. The affiliation relationships continue to develop and keep connected even after reaching its goal, which is a defined difference to coordination.

I would like to know and hear which theories you think benefit your profession?





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 2c: Reflective Theory This task is focusing on my relationship with reflective practice, looking at existing tools with the use of critical thinking. My first thoughts when reading this task was what exactly in critical thinking? what is the definition?  I researched and came across that in fact there is no right or wrong answer.  "Critical thinking is to challenge a theory or a idea"  "critical thinking is the analysis of a situation based on facts..."  "critical thinking is looking at one's work or situation with value judgement"  These are just a few definition that I hand-picked out from "Critical thinking: An Exploration of theory and practice by Jennifer Moon" (Moon, J 2007) As I feel these helped me out the most.  Also finding a diagram of a cycle about critical thinking skills (Boundless, 2016) really helped with my understanding (see picture to the right), because I am a visual learner. So having it there as a
New Literature.... After days and days of more researching I came across a professor Marilyn Berrett and ex-student of BYU, Erika Cravath.  Erika Cravath researched about integrating dance into the classroom for her honors thesis project with Marilyn Berrett being one of her mentors on this journey. Erika has also published a book in 2011 the title being "Creative Dance Integration Lesson Plans by Erika Cravath" It's a guide for teachers to help integrate dance into their lessons also giving example lesson plans at the end of the book.  To find this book here is the link:  https://education.byu.edu/sites/default/files/ARTS/documents/educational_movement.pdf   Also here is a video of Marilyn Berrett and Erika Cravath conducting a workshop to teachers on how they can incorporate dance into the classroom environment.   Link:  https://vimeo.com/20476307
Task 1b: Professional communication technologies Here is my first initial thoughts and ideas to this task. More research and ideas to follow. Web 2.0... Honestly this is the first time I have ever heard of this phrase, it refers to the second generation of web based communities such as social-networking sites like Facebook, twitter, blogs and collaboration sites such as wikis. It also provides an opportunity for the reader to become the creator and for the creator and reader to interact.  How does it impact on my profession as a dance teacher? As a dance teacher myself using web 2.0 helps me keep in touch with up coming news and events from examining boards, potential dance teaching jobs and upcoming performances and festivals. Using web 2.0 also helps me to promote myself as a teacher by uploading pictures and videos of my work. It also provides a extended and easier reach to employees, costumers, partners and suppliers. Whilst at the same time strengthening the bond